Wednesday 29 October 2014

Poetry (1): The People of That Ship - A SSEAYP Poem





By Soultari Amin Farid

noramin_dd@yahoo.com


A SSEAYP Poem, I wrote in my diary a year ago during my PPA engagement with Bugkos Lahi (Philippine Participating Youths) and the people of Lakewood, Zamboanga.

THE PEOPLE OF THAT SHIP

Every year during this time.

End of October. I am reminded - even when I don't want to.

I am made to relive the 50-odd days when (wo)men and water become one.

When we bared our hearts and fell victim to the temperament of the waves: both when its calm and when its tumultuous.

Moments when star-gazing and corner-hunting were our past-times.

When costume exchange were our mode of currencies in the hallways.

When clinical masks became fashion statements.

No one can fully understand the impact the "people of that ship" has had on a person - unless if they were to experience it themselves.

That fateful evening my heart was stolen, the moment our shadows collide during sunset.

Every year during this time, I am reminded of the eventful moment I became one with the sea

When we became the "people of that ship".

14 June 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment