Friday 6 March 2015

Enriching Minds & Hearts








By Soultari Amin Farid
noramin_dd@yahoo.com



And so I clicked on the folder named "Students' Reflections" and I began re-reading some of the reflections my Malay dancers wrote about some performances that we went to watch together and also some performances that my students were involved in. And it felt good to read these reflections because to a certain extent I realise that my dancers were beginning think about their involvement in the arts scene -- even at a tertiary level / semi-professional level.

I would like to provide here two anecdotes from two dancers that were involved in a big scale production in early 2012. Why do I highlight these reflections? Because, for me, it reminds me again why we artists do what we do: to enrich minds and hearts so that one day they might do the same.

I wonder if these dancers remember what they wrote but I place their anecdotes here with the hopes that the Malay dance community will continue in their undying pursuit to promote the arts to the younger generation. For every experience our students gain, bodily or intellectual, provides us with the motivation to keep on moving forward. In sha Allah.

Student 1:
"Being involved in this production did not only teach me about dancing itself but has opened my eyes to realize how small our Malay community is. It frightens me to know that we are one of those sole voices, struggling to keep our community intact as we persevere to keep our culture alive through arts. Therefore, I am proud to be one of the active arts representatives of one of the major Malay Dance groups to sustain the Malay community’s reputation."


Student 2:
"Also, I have learn to adapt to changes and be alert at all times. When I first learn the stomping, I was struggling at the back of the stage. That’s when I realize you just have to 'go jer, don’t scared.'"


Student 3:
"Just to see those big and beautiful smiles on stage and dancing with all their hearts makes me so happy and making me feel like I want to dance with them on stage. I bet the dancers have been through ups and downs during those intensive rehearsals and practices and such. But I know when the curtain call comes, when all different groups stand together to give the bow to the beautiful audience for coming and taking their time to come and watch them, its like so indescribable. Seeing all the dancers faces and smiles makes it all worth it in the end."

Thank you for making this journey even worthwhile. Missing all of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment