Tuesday 24 February 2015

The Goal of the Teacher






By Soultari Amin Farid


noramin_dd@yahoo.com


Sometimes my students would randomly send me messages about their current dance experiences, working with other choreographers. And they would share that they have retained remnants of my "style" within them -- at times noticeable to some who are teaching them.

Although it feels nice to be reminded of this "style" or the many "styles" that exist in the industry for that matter, I for one do not believe in imposing a "style" on anyone. Yes, I do agree that we tend to follow a particular way of moving because we may have been under the guidance of one person for many years or we adopt a particular way because we choose to. But to assume a particular style is like placing a cookie cutter on our bodies -- denying ourselves the free-will to create and explore without restraints.

Thus in my responses to my students I would thank them for remembering me in/through their movements but at the same time I would advise them to open up their minds and allow their bodies to be exposed to infinite styles. I believe as a teacher, for me at least, it is not the style that matters. It is knowing that your students are able to explore and create without restraints. Their versatility to adapt in a fast changing world and making Malay dance relevant today is what I truly believe in.

Lest we forget, the goal of the teacher is to provide the platform for our students to exceed our expectations and be even more than what we can ever be.

No comments:

Post a Comment