Friday 27 February 2015

Be Bold & Brave







By Soultari Amin Farid
noramin_dd@yahoo.com




I was watching a tele-documentary about the first President of Singapore, Allahyarham Encik Yusof Ishak. When talking about any particular person in relation to the Pioneer generation of Singapore, it is difficult not to talk about the political situation of the era and the conflicts this little island had to overcome with our neighbours. Such situations eventually led to the ousting of Singapore from Malaysia which also marked Singapore's beginning as an independent, sovereign nation in 1965.

But behind the struggle for nationhood and identity, most times, what is often left unsaid are the struggles of its people and the dilemma they had to deal with.

I wonder how it was for my late Grandparents from both maternal and paternal sides. Both sides made the move to this little island from the peninsular states of Negeri Sembilan and Melaka (Southern states in Malaysia) respectively to seek for employment opportunities and business prospects during British colonial rule. I wonder how much thought must have gone to decide whether to stay in Singapore or leave to join our extended families in the Malay peninsular during the wake of the separation.

I cannot imagine how it was but I guess there must have been some degree of faith that they had in the leaders of SIngapore to make them stay put in this island-nation. Probably the promise of good education? Stable governance? A better future? Unfortunately my grandparents have departed, even before I was curious enough to ask them these questions.

But whatever the reasons might be, I believe them to be bold and brave to take on that step. Also, I am glad that they held true to our Minangkabau tradition of "Merantau" (leaving one's own homeland to acquire a living and seeking experiences such as education).

I wonder what they would have thought of me now. Nevertheless, I am glad that I got this desire -- to relocate elsewhere to seek knowledge -- from my late grandparents. Maybe its hi-time I document my family roots.


No comments:

Post a Comment