Thursday 12 February 2015

"Return With Your Hands Empty But Your Chest And Mind Filled"





Oleh Soultari Amin Farid
noramin_dd@yahoo.com

While learning about the educational structure of Odissi dance in class on Friday, we were taught about the concept of Guru and how it is perceived and understood in the context of the community that was examined. Immediately I was reminded of the man I call Guru and how much I miss my conversations with him.

Even though we are close, I am always very reluctant to approach him because of how much I adore and respect him. However, I mustered my courage to send him a message which took me quite some time to draft.

When he eventually replied, I was overwhelmed with emotions. You know that feeling like you are his student again even after all these years: that sense of familiarity and waIn his reply he said:
"Tentu banyak sekali awak dah menimba ilmu kat sana. Saya harap awak akan berjaya dan segala pahit dan manis mengajar awak dalam hidup. Biar pulang dengan tangan kosong, tapi berisi didada dan berisi difikiran..."
(Truly you must have gained alot of knowledge there. I hope wish you success and let every bittersweet experiences teach you about life. Come home with your hands empty but your chest and mind filled...)

He was the one who taught me the value of NOT expecting praise. Never once has he praised me or any of his students for that matter because he said, "Praises destroy". I found that to be very true. Sometimes in our desire to receive praise for the things we do, we lose sight of the true value of what we do.

Truly, even after many decades of being involved in the arts, he has never been known to be someone who craves for praises for his work. He has exemplified that through how he would listen intently to feedback on his work, how he would re-evaluate opinions and amend his work where he deems fit. So much so, he has never bothered about chasing after any recognition or awards.

Beyond that, he found it opportune as well to remind me of what it means to be a choreographer and a leader. He reminded me time and time again how both roles go hand in hand. He instilled lessons of leadership, where he will draw upon his own experiences, and share with me over long hours of tea tarik at the coffeeshop.

This man, my teacher and my mentor taught me the value of servant leadership. And I miss him dearly. Thank you Abang for replying to my message. Makes this journey abroad bearable and worthwhile. In Sha Allah.

No comments:

Post a Comment