Friday 17 October 2014

Re-visiting "Traditional"





By Soultari Amin Farid
noramin_dd@yahoo.com


The more I think about it, the more I question this term "TRADITIONAL". Why do we define Malay dance as traditional? I feel that this labelling only serves to make the art form subservient to western-derived art forms.

I feel that by terming a dance as Traditional, we are placing it in a hierarchical structure or even a chronological order that should not exist.

How is the Asli / Inang / Joget / Zapin / Masri of lesser status to Hip Hop or Modern Jazz?

Should being popular equate to higher status?

Should an art form when labelled traditional which produces connotations of being "passé", "not current" or "unfashionable" be understood as irrelevant today?

Is Malay dance something of the past and not practised today?

Going to start being careful when using "TRADITIONAL" as of today.

It might just be a futile play of words for some , but for me condoning such labels is subjecting something I hold dearly to the politics of subservience.

This imperialism must stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment